Friday, September 08, 2006

The Steve Irwin Blame Game- Stop It!

I felt compelled to post this after seeing hundreds of viewpoints and supposed experts give their take on the death of Steve Irwin this past week.
One particular post from a respectable blog clinched it for me.
The Discovery Channel Killed Steve Irwin

Let me start out by saying that I follow Calcanis' blog religiously, as it always seems to offer something that matters to me in my daily internet and blogging travels.
In this case, Jason has written a well-thought out "Op-Ed" on the merits of Steve Irwin and the life he led before meeting his demise by one fell swoop of a stingray spike to the heart.

The problem I have with this article in particular is the fact that it was written AFTER Steve's death. Tantamount to bandwagon jumping, sports fans.
How many of us here have scuba-dived among stingrays ourselves?
Being a travel related blog, many of our readers likely have.
Does this behavior make us irresponsible, or worse yet- reckless?
Last I checked, there were no Discovery Channel cameras following me around the Baja Peninsula, yet I choose to spend time recreating there regardless.

Why specifically bring up this article in the first place?
Because Jason chose that particular subject line to get a point across that has little to do with the reason Mr. Irwin is no longer among the living.
A crocodile did not eat him.
A child was not torn from it's father's arms and swallowed whole.
Snakes didn't decide they had seen enough of this guy's antics and just drag him back to their lair some fine day.
Do I agree with the premise of the article's content?
You bet I do, almost to the letter.
It's the "intent" that I feel perpetuates one common denominator on the blog reports:
The Blame Game.

Think about it.
If somebody (or something) needs to be blamed for Steve Irwin's death- blame the stingray.
An incredibly talented man ran into some incredibly bad luck when the world least expected it.
Could have been you, me or any number of divers on this planet, and the world would never have known it.

If there is a lesson we all can take with us in this whole ordeal it's this:
Taunt the crocodiles,snakes and reptiles long enough, and a stingray is bound to get you in the end.

What say you?

1 comment:

Pam said...

I could not agree with your observations more!